Each year Roots & Branches Foundation brings together a diverse, talented and motivated group of Jewish people, ages 25 to 40 to work together to make a difference in the Greater Denver community using their Jewish values and the tools of strategic philanthropy.
Roots & Branches members…
- Engage in strategic philanthropy – identify a community need or opportunity, learn about nonprofits working in that area and award grants totaling up to $50,000.
- Leverage time, talent and personal philanthropy.
- Connect Jewish values to the good they seek to do.
- Learn about and connect with Greater Denver and Boulder’s Jewish communities.
- Become a part of the next generation of funders at Rose Community Foundation.
The Jewish Life Program Area at Rose Community Foundation funds this program and provides a grantmaking pool of $30,000 and up to $10,000 in additional funds to match dollar-for-dollar donations from Roots & Branches members. All members are asked to make a personally meaningful donation. There is no recommended contribution amount and all amounts donated are confidential. 100% of member contributions are donated to the community.
Members of Roots & Branches Foundation will meet for six sessions over six months, from July through December 2019. Rose Community Foundation staff supports the group and facilitates its meetings.
2019 Meeting Dates and Times
Meetings will be held at Rose Community Foundation and various locations throughout Greater Denver and Boulder community.
- Sunday, July 14, 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 14, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 4, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Sunday, October 20, 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 20, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Sunday, December 15, 10:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Members are required to:
- Attend and participate in all meetings (one pre-approved absence is permitted).
- Spend time outside of meetings connecting with fellow members, researching community issues, reading relevant materials and grant proposals, and meeting with nonprofits for site visits. Site visits will take place from October 23 through November 15, during regular business hours.
- Make a personally meaningful donation to the Roots & Branches grantmaking pool. We recognize that members have diverse circumstances and we believe philanthropy is defined by intention and commitment, not by gift size, so there is no recommended donation amount and amounts contributed are kept confidential.
Members of Roots & Branches Foundation work together in the spirit of consensus; all voices and perspectives are considered before a final decision is reached. This kind of collaboration requires participants to be curious, open, patient and committed to the process, not just the outcomes. Working as a team in this way is rewarding, but we realize it is not for everyone. We ask applicants to consider their comfort with group collaboration before applying.
Eligibility, Application and Selection
All applicants should reside within the Greater Denver community of Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson counties, should identify as Jewish, and be between the age of 25 to 40 years old.
The application period is closed for becoming a member in 2019. For information about applying to the 2020 cycle, please contact Emily Kornhauser at 303.398.7417 or email@example.com.
Each year, more people apply to participate in Roots & Branches than there are spaces in the program. All applications are reviewed by a selection committee comprised of Rose Community Foundation staff, volunteer leaders and Roots & Branches alumni. Applications are reviewed blind; all personally identifying information is removed before selectors receive applications. The selection committee also considers alumni interview feedback on each applicant. The committee discusses each application and selects members primarily for their demographic, professional, personal and Jewish diversity and for the degree to which each applicant stands to benefit from and contribute to the Roots & Branches experience.
All applicants will be notified of selection decisions by early June 2019.